Canyon Lake + Guadalupe River Area (830) 907-2300


Q.  What laws apply to the Guadalupe River in Canyon Lake?

A.  The following laws apply to the Guadalupe River in the unincorporated areas of Comal County.
NO:   glass or foam products,  plastic containers  5oz or less,  littering, or trespassing. WORD ORDINANCES ARE SUBJECT TO A $500.00 FINE.

Q. Where is the boundary on the Guadalupe River for river laws in the City of New Braunfels?

A.  On the Guadalupe River, the City of New Braunfels water laws begin at Gruene Bridge.

Q.  How long are the float trips on the river and where do I rent a tube or kayak?

A.   For a list of outfitters in the area, go to Tourist Info.  They are the experts and can help you plan a safe and memorable trip.

Q. Is the river high enough that I won’t have to walk?

A.  This depends on the stretch of river you choose to float.  Even during low flow periods, there are sections of the Guadalupe that are deep enough to float without walking.  Contact an outfitter for more detailed information about float trips.

Q. Where are parks located around the lake?

A.  Most parks around the lake are owned and operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers.  Contact the Corps for a complete list of parks.  

Q.  How do I find out which ramps are open and closed?

A.  Each of the ramps close at different water levels.  View and print  a map of the boat ramps and closing elevations.

Q.  What is the WORD District?

A.  WORD was created by the Texas Legislature in 1987 to collect fees from people that visit the area.  The district includes all the unincorporated portions of Comal County including 30+ miles of the Guadalupe River and Canyon Lake.  More information about WORD…

Q.  What are the fees used for?

A.  The fees collected from visitors are used for services such as regular clean up along the river, lake and popular roadways, law enforcement, community education, public health and sanitation, and much more.